Suggested kit list
What kit is needed for a dormouse survey?
- One nest box hole bung- make sure you only take one into the wood and bring one out again
- Perspex slide to cover nest box when checking to allow to see inside if required
- Large strong plastic bags to place nest boxes in – available from The Mammal Society, Polybags or Clingfoil. Some aquariums may give you bags for free.
- Small bags to place dormice in
- Scales- Pesola scales weighing up to 50g
- Thin wire for some nest box lids
- Wire to put up nest boxes- 6 core telephone or alarm cable is good as it has a bit of give making it easy to take boxes up and down
- Wire cutters
- Scraper to clean nest boxes
A guide to kit for checking dormouse nest boxes